Sleep is a Wish Your Heart Makes

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, I used to sleep.  A brave dark night was all it would take to coax me into a beautiful slumber, not to be woken by anything but my fulfilled need replaced by others.  And then, somewhere in the happily ever after, I had children.   Sometimes, on the magical evenings, sugar plums really do dance in their heads, and those are the evenings that my night never comes.  When I close my eyes and sleep starts to grasp me, some other force pulls me back, like a piece of rope tied to my back, pulling me slowly at first and then slamming me back onto my pillow, awake.   Finally, I cut the rope, I breathe and relax and nothing can pull me out of this lovely dream, except for maybe my baby crying.  Yep, that will do it.  Or there is the villainous toddler, who consumes the entire space of our bed when he cannot sleep in his own.  Oh wonderful, glorious, uninterrupted sleep: I have faith that someday, your rainbow will come shining through.

Comments

Popular Posts