Miserably Happy in the Forest City

One of many AMAZING designs from Rockford Art Deli
Two things happened this week, and I don't think it was a coincidence.  Rockford made the Forbe's most miserable cities list again, and I called 911 due to a man knocking on my side window, probably casing my house.  So, many of you are thinking, "we'll it's true then"!  But I say, no.  I say. I am ready to fight for this city when so many are ready to bug out.  I could bring up all of the good things we're doing, like the Rockford City Market, the  revival of downtown, the amazing park district, the local businesses that are inspiring the city (Rockford Art Deli, Urban Farm Girl, Mainfraim Habitat for Art, The Prairie Street Brewhouse. etc. etc.) the delicious restaurants (Abreo, Octane, JMK Nippon, Stockholm Inn, Lino's, Chocolat by Daniel, Carlyle Brewing Company, Beef A Roo!, Mary's Market. etc. etc.) , the aerospace companies bringing in jobs, the library, the history, Burpee Museum, The Discovery Center, The Coronado, The Rockford Art Museum, Midway Village, but I know you will point out our high taxes, crime rate, and poor school system.  Aside from all of those things, isn't it enough that this is OUR city?!  Watch some of the Our City, Our Story documentaries and tell me you aren't inspired by these people.  These people are us!  We live here.  We work here. We raise our kids here.  So what are we going to do? Roll over like a subordinate dog and let Forbes kick us in the groin or stand up against the naysayers and reclaim this city?  WE are the city and WE can decide.  All of you that are agreeing with the misery, you have given up, not on Rockford, but on yourself.  Because who stays in a city they hate unless they hate themselves?  I am at home right now, investing in my kids,  but I am doing what I can to contribute to this place.  Shop local, dine at local restaurants, support our leaders. etc..  When my kids are older, I have every intention of bringing what I know about making schools successful to the school district.  In fact, I would love to talk to them sooner if they are interested.  I may have been freaked out this morning when a man was staring in my window, but you know what...screw him!  I called the police and an officer was here in fifteen minutes telling me what he was doing to secure this neighborhood and what I could do to help.  I'm not moving.  I am standing right here and reclaiming my city.  What if we all did?  What if we all fought back, not for Rockford, but for ourselves?!  So who is with me?  Any fighters out there?  Please respond to this with links to things we can do to fight for Rockford.  I have linked to several events and businesses I know of (once I started, it was hard to stop.  I just kept thinking of things I loved about this place), but I want more.  If you have an idea, post it.  Let's fight, people.  Because I care about myself and I love this city, and I am not about to give up.  
 

Comments

This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
We still have 2 count 2 band members of Cheap Trick that still live in Rockford....So that tells you they love their town.....

We make Mrs. Fisher's chips....no one outside this state makes these...

We have many great programs with the park disc...

One program is ...BUDDY BASEBALL..
My son is in this program every summer for the past 4 years. My son has Autism and other kid with disabilities can play on BUDDY BASEBALL...

So there is so much more to rockford then just crime...

Popular Posts