Refresh...ing

Aaron and I just got back from my dear, dear, friends' wedding [it has now been 3 days since I started writing this.  Hayes has been taking amazingly short naps. Just thought I should mention that.]  My last post reflected on a bit of the anxiety I was having at leaving Hayes for the night, but, it all went on without a hitch (of course, they did "get hitched", but no "hitches" other than that.).  After a big hello, chalk full of hugs and clapping, Hayes is now napping in his crib [3 days later], so I figured it was the perfect opportunity to get this wonderful memory of two incredible people documented before I forget some fantastic details [I may have forgotten some by now].

We stayed at a Hyatt in Chicago and when we got to our room, I was thrilled to see two bottles of water that said "Refresh".  "Well Ok!"  I thought, "I will refresh.  Thank-you Hyatt!".  I found out the next day from Aaron, as I went to grab the other one for the road, that under the "REFRESH" text, in itty bitty writing was printed: $3.00.  I had to then inform him that there were in fact two bottles and I may have already drank the other one.  Anyway, I thought it was extremely deceiving.  Shame on you Hyatt.  However, although there was some fine print in the refreshments Hyatt offered, the weekend turned out to be, as I assumed it would be, a truly refreshing escape. (how is THAT for a segway??)

I met Daphne (the Mrs.) my first day of graduate school at NIU in our orientation.  I knew we were going to get along famously the minute we both admitted we had been on the wait-list and then hugged each other when we said good-bye, after only knowing each other for about 3 hours.  I met P.J. (the Mr.) the same day.  He was a co-hort ahead of us in the program and has just always been the nicest, sweetest guy, who apparently had his eye on Daphne from that very first day.  I won't go into their entire story, since it's not really mine to tell, but it really is an adorable one.  However, I just wanted to share a couple of tidbits from their wedding that made me so proud to be friends with these two.  First of all, it was the most exquisite wedding I have ever attended.  They held the ceremony and reception at "The 63rd Street Beach House" on the beach ;) in Chicago.  Picture an old stone two story, open structure, walking up the stairs to a long room full of white chairs, overlooking the beach in the foreground, bits of sun gleaming into the open air room, with two courtyards on either side.  Then, imagine eating the most delectable southern food you've had in your life, and top it off with drinks and dancing.
But forget all of that.  What I will always remember about the day is not only witnessing the love that Daphne and P.J. share, but the love that they have shared with so many of us.  It was impossible to attend their wedding and not be convinced that these are two of the most good, generous, and loving people you will ever meet.  Daphne's Man of Honor began his speech by saying that he met Daphne in 7th grade and she was his first friend.  He was new in town and knew absolutely no-one, and after class, she walked up to him and said "Hi, my name is Daphne".  From there they went on to be great friends.  And then, I was astonished to hear the exact same story, different characters, from P.J.'s best man.  He was new in town, P.J. came up, and all he had to do was say, "Hi, my name is P.J." and these two became great friends.  All four of the speakers admitted that these two had changed their lives from the minute they met them.  I can say for myself, that I would not have made it through graduate school if it wasn't for Daphne. 

Writing this, I am thinking of the lyrics to a song: "find love, and give it all away".  That is Daphne and P.J.  With a simple hello, they changed lives and gave some love away to some people who really needed it, including me.  I was so humbled to be able to be a witness to their special day and can honestly say that we all have a lot to learn from people like this; Just say hello to someone who looks alone - just give a smile, open a door, send a card...find love, and give it all away.  I love you Daphne and P.J. and am so excited to see the lives you will continue to change and the life you are making together continue to grow.  Congratulations my friends!!  YOU are so refreshing and I love you. 

Comments

Popular Posts